Organic Whole Oat Flour
Oatmeal is excellent for soothing dry, itchy skin. It can also be used to provide gentle exfoliation for soothing dry, itchy skin and can also be used to provide gentle exfoliation for baby’s skin.
Try filling a Muslin Bag with Organic Whole Oat Flour, then using it in the bath as a mild scrub. This can help remove flaky skin or cradle cap while soothing baby’s itches.
Remember that Organic Whole Oat Flour does contain a naturally occurring gluten in the form of avenin protein.
This is not the gliadin protein contained in wheat gluten, but in some cases it can still cause sensitivity.
Speak to your doctor before using Organic Whole Oat Flour in your baby’s skin care routine if gluten allergy or sensitivity is a concern.
Home-made Baby Wipes
1 roll of heavy duty paper towels
(Note: Use thick paper for wipes. Cheap paper towels do not work for wipes)
Container- (Old wipes containers, plastic box containers)
420 ml boiled water (or distilled)-cooled but still warm
28 g of pure Aloe Vera
28 g of pure Witch Hazel Extract
14 g of Liquid Castille Soap
.5 g Grapefruit Seed Extract
2 capsules of Vitamin E (optional)
14 g of Olive or Almond Oil (optional)
Essential Oils of choice (optional- .5 g (approx 6 drops) each of orange and lavender oils)
Making Homemade Natural Baby Wipes
- Cut the roll of paper towels in half using a sharp knife
- If using a plastic shoe box or old wipe container, accordion fold the wipes into the Place the wipes, cut side down in container.
- Mix the water, aloe, witch hazel, castille soap, Vitamin E and oil in a bowl and
- Add essential oils if desired and
- Pour over paper towels in container and let absorb- this takes about 5-10
- Flip the container over to make sure wipes are well
- Pull the cardboard roll out from the inside. This should also pull the innermost wipe out and start them for you. Depending on the brand of paper towels you use, you might have to experiment with the amount of water to get the right amount. 8.Use as you would regular
- You can use calendula or chamomile or omit the essential oils if your child has very sensitive skin.
With this method we’re still generating waste, but by making the wipes ourselves we can reduce a lot of the packaging involved, as well as limiting the amount of weird and (not so) wonderful mystery ingredients we’re putting on our babes.
To Make Disposable Baby Wipes, You Will Need:
1 sealable container large enough to fit a paper-towel roll cut in half
1 roll of recycled paper towels
2 cups of water, boiled and cooled
2 tablespoons organic olive oil or almond oil
1 tablespoon Unscented Castile Soap
1 tablespoon pure Witch Hazel extract
Start by using a serrated knife to cut the paper towel roll in half. Place one half inside your container.
In a medium-sized bowl mix the water, the Castile soap, Witch Hazel extract, and the olive oil. The reason that we boil and cool the water is to ensure that it’s sterile.
When the mixture is combined well, pour it over the paper towels, close the container, and then shake, rattle, and roll it around until the liquid is fully absorbed.
Wait a half-hour or so, and then open the container, remove the inner cardboard tube, and pull your first wipe from the inside of the roll.
These DIY baby wipes are quick, inexpensive, and totally simple to make. Your baby’s butt will be clean, sweet-smelling, and smooth to the touch. And, best of all, you know exactly what ingredients went into getting it that way.
DIY CLOTH BABY WIPES
DIY Cloth Baby Wipes
If you’d prefer to use cloth wipes, you need only look around you to find the materials to get started. Organic cotton baby wash cloths, old jersey knit sheets, old t-shirts, or any sort of soft absorbent cloth that’s not being used anymore. (Jersey-knit sheets or T-shirts are ideal for this type of thing because they don’t require any sewing and won’t unravel.)
How to make your own cloth baby wipes
- Run the material through the wash on a hot cycle to make sure the cloth is clean and pre-shrunk.
- Measure and cut into a uniform size.
- Squares measuring 8 inches x 8 inches will fold neatly into a wipe container, but you can make them any size you like.
- When the wipes are done, just pile them in a basket on the changing table and they’re ready to go.
- Wash in hot water, and dry in the sun to remove any stains or odor.
- If you are a compulsive closet-purger (ahem) and you don’t have any material hanging around that would be suitable for wipes, you can easily find cloth wipes on Etsy, Amazon US , Amazon UK
The benefits of reusable wipes are endless.
If they are washed on a hot cycle,
- They can do double duty as baby washcloths or
- Burp cloths,
- Be kept and reused for the next baby in the family.
DIY Baby Wipes Solution
If you’ve decided to use cloth wipes, you can make this solution to help with messy diaper cleanups.
- The Castile soap is a gentle cleanser with a natural scent
- Aloe helps soothe baby’s bum
- The oil allows the mixture to glide easily and moisturize that tender tush.
950 ml boiled and cooled
45 ml organic olive oil or almond oil
30 ml Unscented Castile or liquid baby soap
15 ml pure Aloe Vera
- Pour all the ingredients into a large jar
- Stir gently
- Decant into a squeeze or spray bottle.
- Shake before use because the oil will rise to the top of the bottle between uses.
HOME MADE BABY WIPES SOLUTION 2
Homemade Baby Wipes Solution
15 ml almond*
15 ml liquid baby or castile soap
250 ml distilled or filtered water
2 drops chamomile (Roman) essential oil
3 drops lavender essential oil
5 drops tea tree essential oil**
2 ml Vitamin E oil**
- Adding water first, combine all ingredients, stir gently with stirring rod to avoid the introduction of air which can create
- Place cloth wipes in a recycled baby wipe container.
- Pour the solution over wipes until moist, but not drenched.
- Add any remaining solution to a spray bottle.
- Shake well before each use.
- Spray solution onto cloth wipes before using.
- Alternatively spray directly onto the child’s diaper area, then wipe with a dry homemade wipe.
Use wipes/solution within a month.
*Substitute with: Almond oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil
**These are said to be natural preservatives, but in reality to avoid your solution going rancid you need to add a purpose made preservative or make smaller quantities.
HOMEMADE BABY WIPES WITH COCONUT OIL
Homemade Baby Wipes With Coconut Oil
Ingredients For Homemade Baby Wipes
1.8 – 2 l Cylinder container
1 Paper Towel Roll
28 g Coconut Oil
470 ml Water
15 ml Castile Soap / liquid baby soap
15 ml of Baby lotion of choice
- A tablespoon (measuring utensil)
- Serrated bread knife
Homemade Baby Wipes Instructions
- Place the coconut oil in the saucepan
- Place your saucepan on the stove and turn it on low.
- Cut the paper towels in half with the bread knife.
- Put your wipes into your chosen container.
- Mix the water, soap, lotion, and now melted coconut oil together.
- Place one half of the paper towel roll (cut side down) into the container and push down to bottom gently.
- You may have to squeeze your roll in there and that’s ok.
- Turn the container upside down for 15 minutes
- After the 15 minutes remove the inner cardboard roll from the middle of the paper towel
- Seal and let sit overnight before using.
Witch Hazel Diaper Rash Spray Recipe
60 ml Witch Hazel, Alcohol-Free
60ml Aloe Vera Gel, Organic & Cold Pressed
.5 ml Chamomile Essential Oil
.5 ml Lavender Essential Oil
- Pour all the content into a spray bottle
- Use on diaper area as a substitute for diaper cream when the area is very raw.